Bringing my Soulmate to Australia

Brisvegasgirl73

Not sure where to start with my story so I will start at the beginning....

For the past 30 years my soulmate and I have loved each other but due to various cirumstances over the years, not been able to be together.

Now we are both in a position and the right time and place in our lives when we finally can be together, the only problem is I now live in Australia (UK born but Australia citizen) and he is British and lives in the UK.

We are not officially 'partners' as we are obviously not living together.

He wants to move here to be with me but we have no idea what the best option is for him to do this.

Is it better for me to go to UK (I have a British Passport so not sure if this will make a difference) and marry him and bring him back that way, or is it better to get him over here on that 'intent to marry visa'. Or should he come on a work visa and apply to stay whilst he is here. What is the quickest and cheapest way for us to finally be together???????

Help?????

Thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GeorgeD

The quickest way for you to be together is for you to move to the Uk. you are both UK passport holders, so you can both live there without worrying about visas.

Assuming that isn't an option for you, you have a few options;

I'll assume he is over 31 if you have been soulmates for 30 years, so a Working Holiday visa isn't an option.

Does he have any particular skills or is his occupation in demand in Oz...in other words, he can move to Oz via skilled migration? This is basically how he would do it even if you weren't around.

Can you go to the UK, marry him and 'bring him back' with you. Unfortunately not. Even being married doesn't mean you avoid the visa process. Once married you would need to apply for a Spouse Visa. He can do this from the UK (Offshore) Currently this is taking around 8-9 months to process. If you got married and he entered Oz on a Tourist Visa (or other) he could apply Onshore for the Spouse Visa. Currently this takes around 12-13 months to be processed. He can remain in Oz while it is processed, but he would go on a bridging visa with the same rights as the one he entered Oz on...so if he entered on a tourist visa then he is a tourist without work rights for over a year.

The intent to marry visa...I assume you mean the Prospective Marriage Visa. This is basically for people who intend to get married in the next 9 months. You have to apply Offshore and current processing times are similar to the Offshore Spouse Visa. Once granted, he has 9 months to enter Oz, get married to you and then apply for the Spouse Visa. as the PMV gives work rights, if he applies onshore his bridging visa would also have work rights.

None of these options is particularly fast. If he can afford to be a tourist for a year or so, then the Onshore Spouse visa is your best bet (after getting married.) Where you get married in the world has no bearing on the visa process, so do it where suits you best.

One thing to be aware of...for On/Offshore Spouse Visas you have to provide evidence which proves your relationship is genuine and continuing. If you've been married 5 minutes this will be difficult. people who have been married 20 years need to provide the same level of evidence...it's just easier for them to come up with. Forget photos/phone records/letters/statements from friends/etc. What official documents will you have that show a joint commitment...will you have any joint bank accounts, joint mortgages, joint leases, etc? This will be the difficult bit..a marriage certificate isn't enough for a visa.

My wife and I didn't live in the same country for 2.5 years prior to marriage, and she came to the Uk for a week, we got married and she went back to Oz, so I do know a little bit about this scenario...it wasn't easy getting evidence...that will take you a bit of time as well. It can be done but it isn't easy.

So...to summarise...

Option 1 - Go live in the UK

Option 2 - Skilled migration, he gets to Oz under his own steam (no pressure of getting married!)

Option 3 - Get married and apply On or Offshore for the Spouse Visa

Option 4 - Prospective Marriage Visa

To Parleycross - as it happens he has never been married (was waiting for me) and I am no longer married for reasons not related to this situation at all, so your judgement was so off the mark and uncalled for.

Wellers and Whitehead - thank you for your support, much appreciated :-)

George D - Thank you SOOO much for all the information! You certainly seem to be speaking from experience and have helped sort out some the confusion regarding visa's. Thank you for so much detail and summarising for me. You are a champ!

My apologies then. I'm glad it was not what I feared as seen it before and not pretty. Childhood sweethearts, married other people etc. Not a nice situation. people get hurt.

(But he was waiting for you, while you were married to someone else ...hmmm)

My apologies then. I'm glad it was not what I feared as seen it before and not pretty. Childhood sweethearts, married other people etc. Not a nice situation. people get hurt.

(But he was waiting for you, while you were married to someone else ...hmmm)

Wow, you even edited your post from some form of apology, to sounding bitter again! It really isn't a good look..

Guest GeorgeD

To Brisvegasgirl73...one thing I should add...something I usually say to people in situations similar to yours...if you want to get married then get married. If you don't want to get married, then don't get married. Don't let the visa situation come into it either way...OK being married may give you some more visa options, but marrying for a visa isn't a good basis for a relationship, in my opinion. If you decide to get married anyway, then good for you, and you have some more visa options.

What does your man do for a living? What age is he (if you don't want to be specific give us a range of years, say 40-44, 45-49, 50+ etc) I don't know much about skilled migration, but his occupation and age are relevant to how easy it is to be eligible for this sort of visa.

Wow, you even edited your post from some form of apology, to sounding bitter again! It really isn't a good look..

Well she did admit to being in love with this guy for 30 years (despite being married to someone else), and he was waiting for her while she was married.

It is a little bit unusual.

Anyway if no kids involved, as George suggested just move back to the UK.

He waited for me because he didn't feel he could truly love another person as deeply and completely as he loved me and he believed that eventually for whatever reason our time would come. Sometimes we can't always be with someone we love (as was our case thanks to family at the time) and sometimes we make mistakes and think we can be happy with someone else. My husband was aware from the start of my life long love for my soulmate and still wanted to marry me knowing this. We both thought we could make it work. 16 years later we decided it was time to cut our losses.

The reasons behind me marrying someone other than him are beside the point as are the reasons for my marriage ending. My soulmate and I have only recently reconnected (as he gave me space whilst I was married) and learnt we are still both deeply in love with each other,nobody else has made us happy,we are now single and available...my ex husband has moved on and is happy...and now we believe it is our time.

Please stop making assumptions...I didn't come here for judgement on my love life I came for advice on how to finally be with the man I have always loved given the distance now between us.

He is 39 (same as me) but we have looked at the skilled migration option and his career is not listed as a needed skill here in Australia.

He also has a dog he wants to bring, which is another cost and compliated excercise.

I have 4 children so can not move to UK. :-(

Guest GeorgeD

Ok folks, we're going round the houses a bit...let's stick to the OP's topic rather than discussing their previous relations...the OP is looking for some migration advice, if anyone has any to give, I'm sure she would be delighted to hear your opinions...

Guest GeorgeD
Do you have kids ?

If you have no family or they are grown up, then you may even consider moving back to the UK for a period of time, seeing how things go or even get married there, build up some nice evidence, he applies offshore and when it is granted you both move back to Oz. You can live and work in the UK without a visa, he needs a visa to do that in Oz. doesn't work so good if there are children around.

Naturally all of this depends on you having the cash to be able to up sticks and move around the world, not everyone is lucky enough to be in that position (I'm not!)

So if my ex has the kids for 12 months say (my ex has suggested this).....can I work in the UK on a British Passport then? Am I entitled to National Insurance etc?

If we lived together for 12 months in the UK or decided to get married whilst I was there...he then applies for a spouse visa offshore right which could take 9 months or so? So that means he would not be able to return with me after 12 months? SO confused now.

Archived